Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit (Enhanced or Concealed)
- Effective July 1, 2005, all handgun permit applicants seeking a new permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.
- Applicants must not be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun in this, or any other, state.
- Must not have a Felony conviction and not currently under indictment for a felony
- Must not have a Charge pending for Domestic Violence and never been convicted of Domestic Violence
- Must not be a fugitive from justice
- Must not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Must not be an illegal alien or unlawfully in the United States
- Has not renounced their United States citizenship
- Does not have an Order of Protection or a restraining order filed against them
- Not an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue
- Not a patient in a rehabilitation program and have not been hospitalized for alcohol, controlled substance or controlled substance analogue within ten (10) years (if court ordered) or 3 years (if voluntary)
- Must not have had two (2) convictions for DUI in ten (10) years, with one of those being within the last five (5) years
- Not currently under the jurisdiction of the court for a DUI or any other Class A Misdemeanor conviction
- Has not been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to/or hospitalized in a mental institution
- Has not had a court appoint a conservator for me by reason of mental defect
- Has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity
- Has not been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, because of mental illness within seven (7) years from the date of application
- Has not been convicted of stalking and have no pending charge(s) for Stalking
- Not receiving social security disability benefits by reason of alcohol dependence, drug dependence, or mental disability
- Applicants are required to be a resident of the state of Tennessee
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age or is at least eighteen (18) years of age and is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States Armed Forces or is a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty status and includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, DD214 or includes with the application a military identification card as proof that the applicant is an active duty member of the military.
The information on this page is originally published on the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security website located at: https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/eligibilityrequirements.html